Building Inspector (One Year Contract)
|Open Date||May 14 2019 - 11:47:00 AM||Close Date||May 23 2019 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Building Inspector (One Year Contract)||Posting Type||Contract|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Contract|
|Department Group||Building Division||Hours per Week||35|
|Location||Paris Office (downtown)|
How to Apply:
Complete the contact information below and upload your application documents (cover letter and resume) as one file in the "Resume" field below. Please name your file using the following naming format: Last name, First name. When finished, click "Submit Application".
- Post-secondary school education in Architectural Technology or Construction Engineering Technology or equivalent combination of education and acceptable relevant experience
- Currently provincially certified as septic system inspector with full provincial certification or eligible for certification within acceptable timeframe
- Certified Building Code Official (CBCO) designation or working towards the designation
- Currently hold a BCIN Certification in all disciplines
- Several years’ experience in the construction industry preferably as a municipal building official
- Good working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and the National Farm Building Code of Canada
- Thorough understanding of technology and methodology of construction industry, including working knowledge of building related legislation, regulations, and by-laws
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and other related material
- Ability to deal effectively with owners, contractors, tradesmen, engineers, architects and others and to enforce all regulations, bylaws and ordinances tactfully and firmly with sound judgement
- Proven analytical, organizational and problem solving skills that are resolution oriented
- Demonstrated above average customer service and communication skills
- Ability to organize work and resources in a fast paced team environment
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Access. Familiarity with City View or equivalent permit tracking system would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated safe work practices
- Physical ability to move about on construction sites, buildings under construction, able to climb ladders, scaffolding and manoeuvre over uneven terrain.
- Valid driver’s licence (Municipal vehicle is provided for use)
- Acceptable Driver’s Abstract
- Review drawings and specifications for residential, commercial, industrial, institutional, farm, and septic system building permit applications for compliance with Ontario Building Code and other applicable by-laws.
- Inspect various stages of new construction and issue orders as necessary for residential, commercial, industrial and institutional and farm buildings to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code and all other applicable by-laws.
- Inspect various stages of septic installations and issue orders as necessary to ensure compliance with Ontario Building Code and all other applicable by-laws
- Maintain accurate records of inspections and investigations and attend court as necessary for OBC and Property Standards prosecutions.
- Provide technical assistance to Building Division staff, other Department staff, and to the general public.
- Communicate with Department and Division staff to determine required approvals necessary to obtain a building permit.
- Other duties as assigned.
Hourly Wage Range – $39.02 to $45.65 per hour (Job Grade 7)
The County of Brant is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. Accessibility accommodations are available for all stages of the recruitment process. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise the County if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants and advise that only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. Personal information submitted is collected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.